The following is a detailed summary of the formation, functions, and activities of the Houston Conference Guidelines Revision Planning Commission (PC), including antecedents to the formation of the PC; its charge, composition, and activities during the time of its existence from June 2021 through August 2022; and a detailed summary of PC meetings, including approved documents that are embedded within that meeting section. As detailed below, the role of the PC was not to revise education and training guidelines. Rather, its goal was to create the structure and process by which education and training guidelines would be revised via a conference, which was hosted by the University of Minnesota and held in Minneapolis, September 12-16, 2022. The PC’s roles included the following:
- Budgeting and fundraising to cover travel and expenses for conference participants
- Dissemination of information to neuropsychology and other stakeholders
- Development and administration of procedures to select delegates to the conference
- Formation of other bodies (i.e., Steering Committee, Content Panels, and Delegates) that would take part in conference planning, execution, and follow-up activities
- Defining the respective roles and functions of the Steering Committee, Content Panel, and Delegates
- Approval of policies around conflict of interest and conduct related to conference participants
- Facilitating the transition of administrative authority for the conference and subsequent activities to the Steering Committee
Please note that this document is created solely by me as PC Chair. Furthermore, it is focused on the activities of the PC and its subcommittees, although other activities are briefly covered, such as the antecedents to PC formation and joint activities of the PC, Steering Committee, and Content Panels leading up to the conference. Additionally, this history does not pertain to my separate role as one of 12 members of the Content Panel, whose roles and responsibilities are detailed below.
At this writing, the policy document resulting from the conference is pending finalization, which is being managed by the Steering Committee in collaboration with the Delegates and Content Panel members. A comprehensive history of the PC, conference, and subsequent activities will appear in journal form. In the meantime, I hope that this summary of PC activities will serve to address questions that stakeholders have regarding the activities leading up to the Minnesota Conference. Please send feedback and questions to me at email@example.com and I’ll do my best to clarify any inaccuracies related to the Planning Commission’s activities.
Brad L. Roper, PC Chair, 7-15-2023